|Home > Honoured CPHFS Members > Bill Lede|
William Lede was born in 1925 to farming parents near Hay Lakes, Alberta. In 1945, he started a modest coal stripping and gravel operation with his brother-in-law, Ralph Stebner.
Early in 1947, he became owner and president of Leduc Construction, their first contract was to prepare the drilling site for Imperial Oil's Leduc No. 1. In 1953, after the purchase of two Caterpillar D7 tractors, the company's expansion plans began in earnest. The company never looked back and grew into the present Ledcor Industries Ltd.
Bill Lede began his political career in 1956, as councilor for the Town of Leduc, in 1968 he was elected mayor and completed four terms in office. During his office, Leduc experienced tremendous population growth and numerous municipal projects were completed under his leadership.
Mr. Lede died suddenly in an industrial accident in 1980. In 1981, the Leduc Chamber of Commerce presented the Citizen of the Year Award posthumously to Bill and renamed it the William F. Lede Memorial Citizen of the Year Award, in memory of his dedication to the town.