|Home > Honoured Members > Marguerite Flood Mosher|
Marguerite Flood Mosher
Marguerite Flood Mosher took her war-time experience gained organizing the logistics of the service and supply of the many air force flight schools while working as a secretary for Air Force Command and parlayed it into an over 30-year career in the oil industry.
Mosher also used her superb organizing skills to help found and build The Desk and Derrick Club to advance the role of women in Canada's oil industry.
Mosher began her career in the oil industry working for United Geophysical Company in 1948. The company, owned by the son of U.S. President Herbert Hoover, had proven successful using seismic technology to find oil and gas in the U.S., Latin America, and the Middle East. With the discovery of Leduc, it was ready to try its hand in Western Canada. Staffing and winter logistics were the challenges it faced. Mosher, who had worked after the war helping relocate and settle returning veterans, had skills in both areas.
After joining United in 1948, she quickly took over and almost immediately helped solve many of the company's logistical and human resource challenges. Noticing the limited opportunities for women in the male-dominated oil industry, in 1951 Mosher played a key role in the development of the Desk and Derrick Club of Calgary, attending its first meeting in 1951 and rising to its presidency in 1959. In 1966, she became the first Canadian president of the Association of Desk and Derrick Clubs International. In 1953, Mosher moved to the fledgling TransCanada PipeLines, after being hired by president Mathan Tanner to set up an engineering department for the vice-president of engineering who was soon to arrive from the U.S.
In 1958, Mosher did a one-year stint at Westcoast Transmission in Calgary before moving onto the Northern Natural Gas Company where she would spend the next 22 years. Mosher began as a secretary at Northern, advancing to office manager, with the responsibility of hiring new personnel as the company grew.
By 1969, when Mosher had risen to the position of corporate secretary and assistant to the president, the Northern Natural Gas Company had become Consolidated Pipe Lines, and Consolidated Natural Gas. Mosher stayed with Consolidated until her retirement in 1981.